Sunday, January 6, 2008

Dunkle-Weizen

This is the recipe for a German Dunkle-Weizen that I brewed back in November. It came out fantastic with big nose fulls of banana and clove.

Ingredients
6.6 lbs. Wheat malt extract
1 oz. Perle Hops (Bittering, 60 minutes)
1/2 oz. Hallertaur Hops (Bittering and Flavor, 10 minutes)
1/2 oz. Hallertaur Hops (Aroma, 1 minute)
Wyeast #3068
5 oz. priming sugar

I didn't get a gravity reading because I broke my hydrometer but the goals were: OG 1050-1054, FG 1011-1015.

Boiled extract in 2.5 gallons of bottled water for 60 minutes. Add 1 oz Perle hops for 60 minutes, add 1/2 oz. hallertaur hops with 15 minutes left in boil, add 1/2 oz. hallertaur hops with 1 minute left in boil. Cool to 75F, pitch yeast and rack to primary fermenter. This fermented for 28 days (I was away for a week and couldn't bottle but when I left it was still fermenting). Bottled at 60F and let sit for 12 days.

Review
After poured in a proper weizen glass, there was a beautiful creamy white thick head. The beer was a little cloudy with yeast but was a golden yellowish/brownish color. Smelled of bananas and cloves with a hint of bitter hops. Very crisp on the first taste with the feel of small bubbles popping on the tongue. Over all, this is a very drinkable beer. (I ended up have a bunch the weekend before Christmas).

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. This is a very easy extract recipe to make.

Cheers,
Jason

No comments: