Tuesday, January 15, 2008

American Patriot IPA

I brewed this on January 5th and I'm really psyched about it. I was hoping to have it done for the Patriots run to the super bowl, but it won't be done by then. I've been inspired by the recent buzz about hop shortage, and jump on the bandwagon of American tradition..."Bigger is Better". So this beer has 4 oz. of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Not overkill....but just enough to give it some kick. It's still fermenting, so I'll be sure to add the tasting of the finished product when it's dry hopped and ready to drink. This is going to be the new format for posting my recipes so I can provide more info and separate it out by recipe and review. I used the spreadsheet at the beer recipator.

Projected characteristics:
Color - 24 HCU (~13SRM)
Bitterness - 56 IBU
OG - 1055
Grain:
1 lbs American 2-row
8 oz. American Munich
8 oz. American Crystal 40L
Hops:
1.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 60 mins.)
.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 45 mins.)
1.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 mins.)

.5 oz. Cascade (Aroma, 1 mins.)
1 oz Cascade (Dry hopped)
Yeast:
Wyeast #1056 - American Ale
Mash:
Steeped grains in cheese cloth bag for 60 mins. @ 150-155F
Boil:
6 lbs. 8 oz. amber malt extract. Hop additions per schedule in Hops bill.

Cheers,
Jason

No comments: