Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stocking the Beer Fridge

This weekend, I took a drive to my local beer store, Julio's Liquor's. This is an impressive beer store with over 900 different beers to choose from. I was about as excited as a little kid is on Christmas morning, but when I got inside, I found myself overwhelmed...(in a good way). So, after I got myself together, I browsed up and down the ailses in search of some beer.

After about 20 minutes of walking up and down the 4 ailses of beers, i realized I had no idea what I was looking for. I was just a,azed at home many different beers they had, and I wanted them all....and now!! But, cooler heads prevailed, and I paused to reflect on what I really wanted to try, and determined I wanted a little of everything.

I started down the cooler ailse and saw Some Harpoon UFO Hefeweisen and though, "hmmm, my wife likes that, so that would get me brownie points and hide the fact that we will need another mortgage to pay for the beer I'm going to buy today". So, I grabbed a six pack. Next, i entered the Belgium/German section. Any beer store that has it's own Belgium/German section rules....plain and simple!! I grabbed three of Ommegangs finest, and two German Weissebeers, 4 Weinheinstephaner Dunkel Weissebier's and 2 Schneider-Weisse.

Next was the mixed 22 oz. ailse. I picked up 2 Rogue Chocolate Stouts, and 2 Stone Smoked Porters. I'm a big fan of the Chocolate Stout, so in keeping with the Porters, I'm looking forward to the Smoked Porter. After I grabbed the Rogue's and Stones, I was in a porter/Stout mood so I stumbled upon Anchor Porter and decided to grab a six pack!

I thought I was done, and I started to walk towards the counter when it hit me. I was about to brew my own version of an American Amber Ale (Style 10B in BJCP) for a competition here in MA. BJCP posts commercial examples of the styles, and one of the examples I saw was Red Seal Ale from North Coast Brewing Co. So, I turned my cart around....searched the ailse and grabbed one last six pack.

$80 later, I have some serious drinking and reviewing to do. I will try to post a review for each of the beers I purchased, so check back in the coming weeks to check them out. Feel free to share your thoughts on any of these beers as well.

Cheers,

Jason

1 comment:

Mark Andersen said...

There's nothing better than beer shopping. I had a similar experience when I walked into Colonial Spirits in Acton. I spent over $100 and could have kept going. I'm going to have to visit Julio's in the near future. It's a little closer to me than acton.