Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Anchor Porter

I'm going to keep these rather short since I'm going to try and write a few a night, but here is the first tasting as a result of my $80 Julios trip!

Appearance: It pours a very dark brown, almost black in color with minimal head. The head that is present is a dark coffee like color hinting to the dark roasted malts


Smell: The first whiff has strong hints of fruityness and your nose fills with a flavor reminiscent of molasses. It took me a while to figure it out, but it was very pleasant.


Taste: Maltiness is the first thing I tasted. But soon after the molasses appeared again and took over. Anchor did a great job of keeping the stongest flavor prevelant in all aspects, while still bringing some of the traditional malt charicteristics to your taste buds. Very well balanced


Mouthfeel: There is hints of carbonation in this beer, as keeping with the style. The beer flows effortlessly to the bakc of the mouth and grabs at your taste buds when appropriate.


Drinkability: I have to admit, this being the first Anchor Porter I've had, I was not expecting this type of flavor from a porter. That being said....I loved it! The balance of the true to character maltiness with the added fruityness and molasses flavors really impressed me. I'm on #1 now....but I can promise you this 6 pack won't last long. I'll be making this a staple in the beer fridge! Overall rating is an A!
Next up, Stone Smoked Porter!


Cheers,

Jason

No comments: